Monday, July 12, 2010
The Story In A Name Part 3.... Barbados, the names of places and the stories behind them
Hackleton's Cliff, is in the parish of St.Joseph, Barbados, it rises almost perpendicularly within a few miles of the coastline and reaches a height of one thousand feet above sea-level. According to legend, the cliff is named after a man who committed suicide by riding his horse off the cliff.
Bonnets in St Michael was names after the infamous buccaneer Major Stede Bonnett, whose family owned the two plantations with that name. One was subsequently changed to Upton apparently because of the shame of Stede's pirating ways.
A number of streets in the city were named after former Governors of Barbados they are:
Beckwaith Place - Sir George Beckwith 1810
Hincks Street - Sir Francis Hinks 1856
Mcgregor Street - Sir E.J.M McGregor 1836
Parry Alley - Hon David Parry 1783
Pinfold Street - Charles Pinfold 1756
Probyn Street - Sir Leslie Probyn 1911
Reid Street - Sir William Reid 1846
Ricketts Street - George Yountz Ricketts 1794
The Careenage was given its name as this was where ships where careened onto a side to be repaired, scrubbed and painted.
Country Road was was named country road as it was in a rural district in an era when Bridgetown was significantly smaller. In the early 20th century sugar cane was still being cultivated at what is known as Weymouth.
Mason Hall Street
Mason Hall Street was the location of a Masonic Lodge which was established in the mid 18th century. Temple yard was the location of yet another lodge.
Roebuck Street once had a tavern called the Roe Buck
The name Belleville which literally means beautiful town, was created to give that sound of respectability much as the terms Heights, terrace, Garden and Park were to do some 100 years later.
Palmetto Square and Palmetto Street
Palmetto Square and Palmetto Street next to it were named after the Palmetto palm tree which most likely grew there before it was paved over.
Pie Corner in St Lucy was named in memory of the Great Fire of London in 1666 which started in Farryners Bakery in Pudding Lane and was stopped at Pie Corner after a line of houses were blown up with gunpowder as a fire break. 89 churches and 13,000 dwellings covering 373 acres were destroyed.
The name Bydemill originated in England. The Mill of itself is placed on the exact spot where St George, St John and St Philip conjoin.
Tweedside road once had a house on it by this name, the house was named for the River Tweed in Scotland.
Sam Lords Castle
Sam Lords Castle was built and named for a legendary figure with a shadowy reputation. It was a palatial home with only the parapets making it look somewhat like a castle. The four corners of the building are set at the exact four points of the compass.
St Nicholas Abbey
St Nicholas Abbey was built by Benjamin Berringer in the 1650s is not an Abby. the house acquired the name from George Nicholas who married Berringer's grand-daughter, the heir to the property. The name Abbey is no more than a 19th century affection
Cotton tower one of the signal stations was nothing to do with cotton the plant but was named after Catherine Cotton. the daughter of former Governor Lord Combermere.
Bath was named not because for the beach but after the plantation which acquired its name from the stream running through it. Part of the stream was dammed and used for communal bathing.
Foul Bay is not named for a foul smell but there was originally Fowl Bay, because it once had a swamp which attracted migratory birds.
Castle in St Peter was originally called Indian Castle after a cave there which was occupied by Amerindians.
Animal Flower Cave
Animal flower Cave is named after the sea anemones found inside the cave.
Break Neck Hill
Break Neck Hill is a short steep hill in the Ivy St Michael. it was once the scene of a fatal accident where the victim actually broke his neck. Charles Row Bridge was named for a man who lost his life there.
It is said that Bathsheba, wife of King David, bathed in milk to keep her skin beautiful and soft. The surf covered white waters of Bathsheba are said to resemble Bathsheba’s bath in both appearance and health giving value. It is breathtakingly beautiful dramatic coastline of striking rock formations against which the Atlantic rollers break in cascades of foam.
The Crane in St. Philip was once a small port with a crane which was used to lift cargo from ships anchored offshore.
1769, The "Horse" In the 18th century it was considered improper for ladies to be seen bathing in public. Sea-bathing, however had become so popular that by 1769 at least one discreet bathing place had been constructed near The Crane. It was referred to as the "Horse" and was approached by steps cut into the sea cliff. The stairs to the "horse" can still be seen descending from the far side of the south of The Crane, much as it was in 1769.
Hangman Hill is the location where they caught a murder who was later hung at Glendairy prison.
Crab Hill in St Lucy was named Crab Hill because of the large number of crabs found on it.
Three Houses was so named because for some time there were only three houses in the area.
Cut Throat in St Thomas acquired its name from the incident outlined bellow.
A Mr Elcock of Mt Wilton Plantation promised one of his favourite slaves, Geoffrey that he would be freed at Mr Elcocks death. Unable to persuade his master to free him sooner, Geoffrey tried to expedite matters by slitting his throat. He later confessed the crime rather than endure the Ordeal of touch in which it was believed that a dead mans wound would bleed if touched by the murderer.
Trainline St Philip is the exact spot where the part of the railway ran between 1881 and 1937.
The Puff is a area just south east of Conset Bay and is Co
Cow Nose is in Belair St Philip and was so named because there is a hole on top of the cliff; when a wave surges under the cliff, making a noise similar to a cows breathing.
Provided with the compliments of your friends at Glory Tours. The #1 Provider of Sightseeing Tours in Barbados http://glorytours.org/